Daughter had her fracture clinic follow up this afternoon. I had called this morning to book the appointment only to be told it was already booked and it was in a few hours.
Say again? No one from the hospital called us, it’s only been 5 days since she was seen and yesterday was a holiday, so how can she be booked already?
Sigh. Thank goodness her dad is at home. I called my mom to see if she could come over to watch the baby and then called daughter’s school advising them that she was being picked up early. Husband texted me from the clinic that it was busy and he would be late picking up our son from preschool. I re-arranged my patient bookings so I could pick him up and take him home.
As I was about to leave to get my son, I received this text from husband.
I hated that I wasn’t there for my daughter. I called husband and told him my plan of getting our son, taking him home to my mom and then coming to the hospital. I was going to cancel the rest of my day. I spoke with my little girl and she was obviously crying, “I don’t want surgery, Mommy.” I tried to be as calm and upbeat as I could telling her that the doctors weren’t sure yet and we needed to wait to find out what the x-rays showed. Hubby then took the phone away and said they were going for the x-rays and hung up.
I got home about thirty minutes later and anxiously waited for news. I kept telling myself that its not a big deal if she needs surgery, after all husband had a similar fracture when he was 12, they would have matching scars! But the thought of her being put under a general anesthetic and having her skin cut open and her bones screwed back together – ugh, it was awful.
Finally, I got service back on my phone and a flurry of texts came in.
“New cast for 2 weeks.”
And then … “Done and coming home.”
I gave her the biggest hug when I saw her and her fancy new cast.
Sigh … kids.